Thursday, April 18, 2013

Summer Bronze



Eeep! Bathing suit season is right around the corner and I am panicking. I don’t know about you, but my legs have been hidden in long pants all winter and I am pale as paper (you think I’m kidding). Within the last week or so, the weather has changed back to being on the warmer, more humid side and the girls at my school have been granted permission to wear their khaki skorts again. At first, I was super excited that I wouldn’t have to wear tights and kilts anymore, but now I’m horrified because everyone is staring at my bright white legs. During the summer I’d like to say that I get tan from sailing in the sun everyday. Unfortunately for me, my definition of tan resembles a normal person’s ‘pale.’ Yes, this is in fact a bit embarrassing. I know that I would like to get some color asap, so that means I am on the lookout for cute bathing suits to start tanning in the sun on the weekends as well as other skincare products that might be able to boost my color before prom (meep).

 

 

First off, how can anyone not be obsessed with the new J.Crew bathing suits? From their neons to their anchors, J.Crew really hit the nail on the head with their swimsuit collection. The Candy Anchor String Top is on the top of my ‘summer must haves’ list. As I’ve mentioned before, I love all things nautical so this is screaming my name. In addition to the anchor, might I also add that I am SO glad seersucker is making a comeback? This one piece above is absolutely adorable and perfect for when your skin is a little darker than the material (so maybe I should wait until mid-summer when I have color?). For those of you who are paranoid about burning, or plan to spend the entire day in the ocean, a rash guard or ‘sun shirt’ from J.Crew is a must have. It comes in a wide array of colors from white, to coral, to bright blue, to a neutral floral print. All together, I’d have to say that I am rather impressed with the versatility and function of the collection. Be sure to check it out at the link below!


Everyone knows that sunscreen is a must at the beach or the pool in order to prevent skin cancer and sun damage. I have been raised to take this rule very seriously due to the fact that I can burn in twenty minutes or less. Because the sunscreen I use tends to do such a nice job at protecting me from the sun’s rays, I tend to miss out on the tan. There are a couple products I’ve tried for self-tanning (since I refuse to get a spray-tan or go to a tanning-bed), but I have not been to in love with the results of any of them. I have been doing a little bit of research and have found a few lotions I am tempted to try. The first is Aveeno’s Continuous Radiance Moisturizing Lotion. What is so cool about this tanner is that you can adjust the amount of color you want to apply. It recommends that you turn the dial up one notch each day for five days to ease into the perfect color, but my guess is that you would want to take it a little slower and do several days of each level. It runs around $15 in most drugstores. Another product that gives a more instantaneous result is Guerlain Terracotta Sunless Self-Tanning Balm. This oily lotion goes on smooth and provides silky legs with a touch of iridescence and bronze tint. It provides almost instant results so it would be a great product to use if you’re about to go somewhere where you’ll be showing off those pretty legs of yours. Although this product runs around the $50 range, it may be worth it for a last minute picker-upper.
With the help of a few new bathing suits and self-tanners, I think I might be able to get some color on my pale self before prom, and more importantly, before summer. Let me know in the comments below if you end up trying the lotions or if you find something else that works really well for you!
Xo- Boo

No comments:

Post a Comment